Auto Updater Abuse

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by NoChanceSD, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NoChanceSD

In the last 2 months(i think) i saw already 4 plugins that abused auto updaters. What i mean by auto updater abuse is when there are plugins that download a new file every time the server restarts/reload(even when they don't actually need to update) and manage to get approved by the staff.

I can't say for sure that they did it on purpose, but one of them abused twice, the first time it happened he didn't make any check(no "if" before running the updater), making the plugin get downloaded over and over again. He got over 100k downloads because of this.

The second time(some time after his first "abuse" file being removed), he "accidentally" forgot to update the version in plugin.yml and got another 40k(or something like that) downloads before getting removed. But if you look at the person here in the forum, he doesn't look that "newbie" for this kind of mistakes.

And the only thing being done is remove the broken files, i mean this "costs" money to Curse(reward points) right? And it's really unfair to other developers, since these plugins actually get up in the Curse Top Plugins because of their monthly downloads.

The only suggestion i can think for Bukkit Staff is to add an extra step to all plugin reviews, like starting a server with the plugin and check if the auto updater is running as it should. I know it would probably increase approval times but should only take around 3-5 minutes for each plugin.
    Sorry about the long text, i didn't know if the community already had knowledge of this situation, so here it is, open for discussion because i really find it unfair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.