Solved Asynchronous Block Access (Read-Only)

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by NathanWolf, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NathanWolf

I searched for this, and couldn't find an answer for this specific question.

I know you should never modify blocks in another thread, and generally shouldn't interact with the Bukkit API at all from another thread- but is it OK to just get blocks, and not modify them?

I guess the other option is to get chunk snapshots from the main thread and pass them to the secondary, but it would be nice to avoid that if read-only access is safe. Maybe I can ensure the chunks are loaded before querying, any tricks like that?

Thanks!

2. Offline

Compressions

NathanWolf Typically, you really should only use async threads when performing resource-intensive tasks that don't need to be timed in harmony with other tasks.

3. Offline

NathanWolf

That is what this is- I want to push massive block updates off to an async thread, and queue the changes up to be slowly applied inside a repeating task.

This would work great, but the block updates rely on checking the current state (e.g. not replacing certain materials).

Which is why I need to know if it's ok to read block data from another thread, or if I have to create a snapshot first.

4. Offline

Compressions

NathanWolf If you can get the block states prior to scheduling the async task, it should work fine; otherwise, you may run into concurrency issues. ChunkSnapshots look like a nice feature as they are thread-safe.

NathanWolf likes this.
  5. Offline

NathanWolf

Well, for what it's worth, I took your (semi-)advice and kept it synchronous and simple.

I basically just break up the work into N-sized batches and grind through it in a repeating synchronous task. I feel like there is some work here I could offload to another thread, but it's probably not worth all the data copying and complexity it would introduce.

Anyway, this lets me create mega-structures like this without killing the server... so yay! :) Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.