Area chat and "talkers"

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Sketaful, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Well. I've an idea I just ripped of from the Discworld MUD.

First part is that normal chat should be set to only be heard within a set distance. You could expand this distance by saying something louder (/lsay) or be heard on the hole world by shouting it (/shout).

Shouting should not be allowed to much thought so some kind of points should be given to each players that are used up by shouting and slowly regenerates when they doesn't shout.

This was the first part.

The second part is the creation of a "talker" or a kind of "walkie-talkie". This would be created by using a command while holding an object which would make that object the "talker".

The object should be able to be anything. If I hold helmet while using this command I make the helmet a "talker" but will still be able to wear it. The only thing the "talker" really do is add channels.

When you have a talker you can check the channels by "/channels list" (or something like that) and see the different channels that are allowed for that player. If the channels are "global, shop, help" for instance, then a command like "/global <text>" would send the message to everyone that have a talker in their inventory (or equiped) and it will show up something like "talker (global): <player> says: <text>"

Which channels that are avilable should be configurable throu permissions gruops or something like that and adding channels should be configurable so that the server admin can deside if all, some or none should be able to add channels.

My English isn't the best when describing things but this is just a ripoff from the MUD I play as I mentioned before. Nothing that really is "my idea" but still something I would like to see on a Minecraft server. I believe it would quite a great deal to an RPG server for instance.

This is perhaps impossible to make ( i don't know, I just get ideas..) but atleast it's something to make you think, right?

Cheers

2. Offline

mushroomhostage

Good ideas. RealisticChat does some of this, including the local chat, shouting (using up hunger points), and walkie-talkie (defaults to a compass, but could be changed to any item in the config). Anyone want to implement the other features?