Anti-piracy. Do you use it? What trick is the best?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by nzkiwi.5000, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

nzkiwi.5000

Hello

I recently started making private plugins for server owners. I think there's high probability that they'll be pirated. Should i start making theese plugins piracy-proof? And if yes, what's the best trick to do so?

2. Offline

_Filip

I doubt that your plugins would be so good as for someone to want to "pirate" them.

Show Spoiler
    Proguard

3. Offline

nzkiwi.5000

TheSpherret Oh, you mentioned Progruard. I can't get it to work. Do you know any good tut? I searched for it but I found nothing.

4. Offline

_Filip

nzkiwi.5000
    What are you talking about??

is a perfectly good tutorial..

5. Offline

Gater12

6. Offline

nzkiwi.5000

Ok back to proguard. Got it working, but on my JDGUI the variable names are: a, b, c, d, var1, etc.
    How to make it longer, mixed case and random? Like 'E4Facc5'

7. nzkiwi.5000 Why would such a thing help improve it? As long as it's not helpfully named like "killInactiveMobs()", then that's the point of it - security through obscurity.

8. Offline

nzkiwi.5000

AdamQpzm Yes, you are right - but i like clear code and i call my methods helpfully.
    And i found another problem with ProGuard - It removed my event handling methods

9. Offline

hankered

why would you bother? i doubt anyone gives a crap about your plugins enough to try to steal the plugins

TheSpherret likes this.
  10. Offline

TheMcScavenger

Well, unlike you, some people are good enough at making plugins for others to want to steal them, and publish them as their own.

Also, ProGuard is quite useful:

11. Offline

hankered

TheMcScavenger
    you don't even know me lol. i probably know more then you considering i'm not asking things that can be googled easily

(facepalm)

TheSpherret likes this.
  12. Offline

TheMcScavenger

know more than* you

Yes, you know a lot sir!

13. Offline

hankered

TheMcScavenger
    its funny how when people don't know how to respond they correct the other persons grammar.

anyway, i'll be going, have a nice day :)

TheSpherret likes this.
  14. Offline

TheMcScavenger

"how when" really?
    How about: "It's funny that people who don't know a proper response comment on the grammar use of the previous user."?

15. Offline

hankered

16. Offline

TheMcScavenger

Not really, I just like annoying you :)

17. Offline

hankered

18. Offline

TnT

Locked. This thread has devolved into a useless flamewar over protecting Java code, which is really near impossible to protect in any way.

The best protection you have is to publicly post your plugin to BukkitDev and your code to a code repository somewhere (such as GitHub). Anyone who tries to redistribute your code will be easy to catch as you have a public record of your code existing. Otherwise all you do is delay the inevitable with obfuscation, the inevitable being someone deobfuscating your code and calling it their own.

hatstand, Gnat008, Traks and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.