Announcement: RPGCraft Plugin

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Michael Rhodes, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NathanWolf

This sound a lot like the approach I was taking with my hMod RPG plugin- Seems like a lot of people had this idea.

I decided, for bukkit, to just go completely loosely coupled.

So far, I've got really nice Spells and Wand plugins- I ended up going for the most fun thing first :)

Next on my list (technically) is a generalized Persistence engine- the next phases are going to be complex enough to need one.

After than, Experience and Classes (leveling/progression) systems.

Michael (et al), fFeel free to checkout Wand/Spells (and/or the source code)- I notice it's not really something on your list, so it may fit in nicely with your plans. You need something for the Mages to do, right?

Also, the Spells plugin has an API- so you are free to add your own spells. It has quite a bit of utility to offer, including a full undo system and targeting system.

But I digress.... Interesting ideas, good luck!

EDIT: Noticed the discussion on source code sharing... All my source is on github- including the abandoned hMod RPG plugin/framework, if you're interested. There's not much there- the Wand is the best bit, and I've ported that. There's the beginnings of a nice persistence engine using Java annotations, but I plan on porting that soon so wait if you're interested in that sort of thing.

So, yeah, really there's not much there- just thought I'd offer :)

2. Offline

Michael Rhodes

Hey guys,
    Sorry for the lack of updates... I have been taking a little break from this. I am going to be getting back into it again now. I will re upload my jar file the is linked on the first page. It is built for the most recent version of craftbukkit. I know there was some error message before. I have fixed them and now it should be working better.

As of now it will automatically make each player a rpg character and they will have access to using the built in currency.

Just a recap,
    /balance - shows your coin balance.
    /givecoin <gold> <silver> <copper> <player>
    - Gives the amount of coin to another player.

/rpg setname <RPG name> - sets the players rpg name (this shows up when typing)
    /shout, or /ooc - message everyone on the server. This is the normal server way of talking.
    When tying normally ONLY people close to you will see the message, you need to /ooc or /shout to reach everyone.

When a player logs out the plugin will save all data to a data file. Also, when the plugin is unloaded it will save all player data.

Now, I used a Java 7 feature for this, so you will need that to make it work. My next step in this is to convert all data to a SQLite file.

Anyway, if you want to test it out, or have ideas please let me know.
    I have seen some of the other plugins around and I know there are similar things out there, well, at least some things. LevelCraft is one in particular I have discovered. I really like that plugin, and use it now on my server. I hate to say this, but I will be using a lot of the same stuff in my plugin. (I planned on these features anyway for my professions)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

Michael

3. Offline

Tenebrion

I'm looking forward to this but I have a question. As you said there are alot of plugins doing similar stuff to yours. SO I hope that you implement some kind of disabler for your featuers. For exampel that you can disable your currency-system since I use Iconomy and several other plugins use Iconomy as well, that means that if you don't have a way to disable and enable what parts of your plugin we want to us, I am kindof certain many people won't use it because it would break alot of plugins.

I hope you take this under consideration :) (BTW sry for my crappy english)

4. Offline

Michael Rhodes

Tenebrion: I don't have anyway yet to disable certain features. However, that said my currency system is quite basic, and if not desired, can be completely ignored. I don't have a lot of features implemented yet, but I will take this under consideration. I am still in the early stages of development.

See, here is my problem... my plan is to make it so when you kill mobs they give experience, and can drop loot and coin. Of course this coin will be gold, silver or copper. So that is my dilemma... unless I make a properties file that allows an admin to set iconomy values instead.

<Talking out loud> I think I could program this using my currency, and then in a config file let admins set an equivalent vale for gold, silver and copper for iconomy currency. Then my plugin could just use that instead.
    </Talking out loud>

Anyway, I will look into these ideas and let you guys know how it goes.

Mike
    --- merged: Feb 6, 2011 12:34 AM ---
    Status Update:

I am currently working on adding SQLite support so there will be one config file and one database file.

I want to do this to keep everything organized better, and with the config file I will put in options that can help tweak the plugin.

For starters I will put in the default starting amounts of coin for players.

I have been thinking hard about things, and to be honest I am not sure how I can give the option of iConomy and still keep to my original ideas of a pure RPG mod. I will keep it as an option, but no promises. That said, if you do not want to use my currency, you do not have to. It will not get in the way of iConomy if you rather use that.

Over time with feedback from you guys I am sure this can be configured nicely.

I may not have an updated plugin for a few days... I need to overhaul a little bit of what I have not to implement the sqlite stuff. Once that is done I will re upload and make a new post.

Feel free to ask any questions about this.

Michael
    --- merged: Feb 9, 2011 4:21 AM ---
    Still working on this plugin. People on my server are getting pretty excited about the potential here.

I managed to get the storage of data converted to sqlite. So now RPGCraft has just one config file and one db file.

I also made some small cosmetic changes to the output on the screen, for example when you type /balance it comes up like this

[RPG] 1 Gold, 4 Silver, and 32 Copper

Well, you'd have to see it in game I guess.... but it's a bit better than it was before.

I do not have an upload yet, there are a couple small issues I need to fix first. Nothing major, just little annoyances that I'd rather clean up before releasing.

Anyway, I am happy with my progress, and I have planned out a fully functional professions system that Irthink people will like quite a bit :)

Also, a webpage is being made for this plugin as well, I will post that link when it is ready. I'll put up a youtube video demoing the features I have so far.
    --- merged: Feb 12, 2011 3:57 AM ---
    Hey guys

I did a bit of work on this plugin lately.
    I also have a website (pretty empty at the moment, but there is a video :) )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zsdJCVJvM

The website is:
    http://tigerstudios.net/minecraft/rpgcraft

Download:
    http://tigerstudios.net/minecraft/plugins-mc/RPGCraft-0.3.5.zip

So, basically the most notable changes are with the help system.
    I think I did a pretty good job with creating a help system that is easy to use, and give good explanations.

Also, since the last file I released I have added sqlite support. Everything you need is in the zip file.
    Permissions is also used to control who has access to what commands.

I made a readme file and it's in the zip. I am not so great at writing descriptions for this, so please keep that in mind.

Who knows, if someone wants to help me I wouldn't say no :)

Please watch the video, and if you like subscribe to my channel. I am not trying to get youtube viewers, I just want to make sure you guys get the latest videos about this as I make them.

I will also keep making new posts here when I have new stuff released.

Hope you enjoy what I have so far. Next thing I will be working on is a way to log transactions with other players and setup a timer to automatically save all the data to disk.

From there will be implementing the first profession, Farmer. I have some good plans for all this, it's just going to take some time.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks.

5. Offline

Kimberly2000

I've been wanting a RPG plugin that will do something simple like this:

Classes:

Warrior:
    Weapon: All Swords. Doubles the damage done with swords.
    Armor: All but Diamond.
    Special: Right clicking on a creature will do double the Warrior's normal damage (ie 4x normal damage) with a sword. 60 second cool down.

Archer:
    Weapon: Bow and Arrows. Doubles the damage done with bow and arrows.
    Armor: Can wear only leather armor.
    Special: Right clicking on a creature will do double the Archer's normal damage (ie 4x normal damage) with a Bow and Arrow. 60 second cool down.

Mage:
    Weapon: Redstone Torch. Allows them to cast fireballs like the Ghasts. Should do the most damage of all characters, but with something like a 10 second cool down.
    Armor: Can't wear any armor.
    Special: Right clicking on a creature will cast a Lightning Bolt. Does about 4x the damage of the fireballs, but has a 60 second cool down.

Guard:
    Weapon: All Axes. Does damage like a sword.
    Armor: Can wear all armor.
    Special: Damage dealt to a guard is cut in half.

Assassin:
    Weapon: Can use only wood or stone sword.
    Armor: Can wear only leather armor.
    Special: Their movement speed is doubled.

Healer:
    Weapon: Stick. Can left click a person and give them 1 heart of health with about a 5 second cool down.
    Special: Can right click on a creature to do a freezing spell that stops the creature from moving and attacking for about 10 secs. Has a 60 second cool down.

Alchemist:
    Weapon: TNT, damages only creatures, not blocks or items. Can only use 1 TNT about every 5 seconds.
    Special: Right click to use 2 TNT. Cool down of about 60 seconds.

These are just suggestions, I'm sure you can think of more classes. Something like this would work very well for my server.

6. Offline

Michael Rhodes

Hey, glad this is the type of thing you are looking for. To be honest, this is pretty much exactly what I am working on :)

For everyone watching this Thread, I made a more "official" post for this plugin
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-rpgcraft-v0-3-6-rpg-features-for-minecraft.4290/

Right now the most complete feature is the custom currency. I have made a couple updates, and made things a bit better since my last post here. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

I think what I will do now before I get to much further, and now that we can have multiple worlds I am going to add a field to the config file to list the worlds this plugin should be enabled for.

I will continue to update this thread with my development progress, and the thread in the Plugin Releases section with the actual releases.
    --- merged: Feb 17, 2011 4:09 AM ---
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-rpgcraft-v0-3-7-rpg-features-for-minecraft.4290/

Been more active there in that forum than this one.

I just wanted to let you guys know that so you won't miss out on updates if you are interested.

7. Offline

tysonhh

Do you have a specific date when it is going to be released?

8. Offline

Cosmic Break

necroposter...

read the thread, already been release and went inactive over 500 updates ago.

9. Offline

tysonhh

LOL thx for the heads up XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.