[Analysis] Minecraft (server) lagging

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Schinken_Manuel, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Until we can reproduce these issues there's nothing to fix, that's all I'm saying. The difficulty comes with the freedom - there are far too many factors to consider when trying to reproduce an issue and I'm yet to hear how to reproduce this one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone I'm just trying to make it clear that an issue can surely exist on your end but if we can't reproduce it... we don't even know where to begin to fix it.

I'm following both this thread and the other high CPU one(s) but neither has really helped. I'm busy putting together a team of testers and a system that might make discovering (these) issues easier, though even then there are no guarantees.

Kane and Nate204 like this.
  2. Offline

Nate204

You dont know HOW HAPPY it makes me to know that someone is looking into this....

Notch and his team address this question:

Update Minecraft to add cookies~ and some rain... or possibly redo some of the server side code to enable better server performance?

Their response:
    hmmm..... Well, Cookies ARE amazing... Cookies it is then!

*Edit* Oh, and note the instant breaking of hundreds of Bukkit servers.

3. Offline

DeepDarkness

Confirming that removing monster and animal spawns on my server improved performance massively.

Hope this gets fixed soon!

4. Offline

woodzy

i have CB#670 mob/animals ON like 24 ish plugins i can have everyone at one spot and i can spawn like 50-250 mobs and have no lag issues 4 GB ram 6 core ubuntu 10_10 64
    at 251+ mobs spawned the lag starts in

5. Offline

SirHedgehog

I also killed all mobs and performance has been drastically increased.

6. Offline

Planitia

Lag really is a circumstantial problem. Also if I am not mistakes the graph is performance client side not server side. Like i have said 9 times out of 10 it is the players computer or network. There could BE anything wrong, and even if you have the BEST computer money can buy you may still have an issue causing your computer to be shit. It would even be another piece of software you have running in the background. as far as the 'increasing' number of mobs the further out you go my server has a map with a 2000 radius and mob spawns are pretty average across them all. Perhaps you hit a region with lots of dungeons ;)

All you can do it help fix lag is troubleshoot until it's fixed, there is no magical patch that will fix it, only one that will help a bit.

7. Offline

Kartus

@EvilSeph On my server the lagg was from squids. i think only this mobs makes the laggs, when it has a location in the sea with hundreds of them on one spot, like on my screenshot in posts above. probably the collidation calculating of that many squids near other squids occur the lagg. so i think, just disabling squids or preventing them to spawn so many on same spot can solve the lagg issue.

8. Offline

SirHedgehog

Just was wondering around the world and came across a bunch of squids still spawned in water areas (and in tight groups too):
    [​IMG]

Even with:
    Code:
    spawn-monsters=false
    spawn-animals=false
    Actually if it's a bug (which seems likely as it's a new issue and it's cropping up frequently) then there is a magical patch that will fix it.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  9. Offline

Kartus

Wow, that's really a BUG! Cause when i set serverconfig spawn-monsters=false and spawn-animals=false, i had the lagg TOO! It seems that squids aren't disabled at "spawn-animals=false". that should be fixed easily in bukkit. cause i had'nt laggs on vanilla with spawn-animals=false.

And for EvilSeph: For me it's now most clear, the squids are the lagg problem. Please fix this squidscrouds.

10. Offline

Planitia

Really lag only just popped up as a problem? It's been a problem for a long time. It might be 1.4, it might be bukkit, it might be minecraft servers in general. Saying that it's most likely not because there are WAY too many factors.

Although people shouldn't lag with mobs ON, I don't lag, I run Bukkit on an average server I connect from the other side of the world. no lag at all, Like Evilseph said it's not something that can be easily replicated. Although the squids spawning while mobs are disabled is an interesting find, this still doesn't help the lag problem. My server doesn't lag with mobs on so in theory no server should. But ll the fun would be gone if it worked like that ;)

11. Offline

SirHedgehog

Yes, the severe lag we are seeing currently is a new problem. A problem that a lot of people were not experiencing before the recent update - with the same hardware specs and the same bandwidth. That hints at a software issue which may or may not happen for everybody depending on the setup being used.

Saying this I am not ruling out a hardware problem. Maybe the new code just puts more load on the same hardware and lots of systems are failing because of it. Maybe it's a compatibility problem with certain devices or operating systems. Maybe it's specific to a plugin or plugin version. Maybe it's specific to a bug in certain map layouts. As you mention the possibilities are many and people are trying to work through them to discover the source of the problem.

I have personally tried the hardware route and it hasn't yielded any positive results for me yet but I am still invesigating more possibilities that side. The current evidence I do have at the moment says to me that lag occurs when around shoals of squids. I don't know whether this is because there is a bug with squids (apart from spawning when they shouldn't) or whether it's related to mobs in general with my particular setup.

12. Offline

Planitia

I don't experience the Squid bug on my server. Has the large groups of them appeared with mobs enabled in the settings. I'm beginning to have a funny feeling that it may indeed be the useless squids.

13. Offline

SirHedgehog

Hmm, no, squids seem fine with mobs on. :(
    [​IMG]

Back to square one.

14. Offline

Rytharr

Nate204 likes this.
  15. Offline

Nate204

I'm glad that I may have at least helped one person.

16. Offline

Planitia

Ok new addition. I now lag on my server. This happened not after extending my border to 2000 but after i started to generate most of it. It generated a fair bit of it then went too bed. The next morning I was experiencing minor lag. I discovered that my server has a remaining 350mb of ram out of 2GB in the JVM. Discovering that i am running 32bit Debian I am now fail. I will upgrade to 64bit give it more juice and see if it'll fix it.

17. Offline

SirHedgehog

I've just done the same thing. Noone on at the moment so it's difficult to test :)

Thanks Rytharr and Nate

18. Offline

Kartus

19. Offline

Kartus

same lagg issue experencied now when a few wolves are sitting to much near each other = collision calculating making lagg i suppose. not only squids, now also wolves generating this issue. bukkit/mojang should look into that really.

20. Offline

TnT

Can you confirm this lag happens on the vanilla MC server?

21. Offline

Kartus

sorry, can't remember if Vanilla it exists too. First test issue was solved on Vanilla, but probably later second test with vanilla same problem. i just forgot it. worked too much time on find out source of this issue ;)

same issue with slimes on bukkit i think. ca. 50 slimes on 1 place = lagg.

22. Offline

TnT

Please test it and let us know.

23. Offline

Kartus

sorry, i haven't got the testing time ressources for that anymore. please ask another tester ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.