Alternative auth system for bukkit?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Ketrel, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ketrel

I'm running a LAN that's not connected to the internet. Is there any way with craftbukkit I can assign usernames instead of having everyone show up as player?

2. Offline

jamescosten

Yeah use the whitelist to prevent players from joining you dont want to.

3. Offline

Ketrel

EVERYONE shows up as "Player". That's what I'm trying to correct.
    No internet means no authentication from minecraft's server. I can't exactly whitelist "player".

4. Offline

EvilSeph

Everyone that has paid for the game won't show up as Player.

5. Offline

Ketrel

I have paid for the game. I have used my laptop to connect to internet based servers, get updates, etc.

When I go on this LAN (with NO internet access) and connect, I do NOT have a user name. I show up as Player.

(Exactly how would you expect it to differentiate between those who paid and those who haven't when there's no internet access)?

6. Offline

Jeyge

You don't. Everyone can spoof another persons name at any point in that system. I could be the admin or the lowest user. Hence why there is an online mode which authenticates my username and I only receive the permissions I deserve.

As for the information you are looking for, it is out there but I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find it here.

7. Offline

Ketrel

I guess what I'm looking for is something akin to NameServ in some IRC chatrooms.

It's a LAN, I trust the people connecting, but the problem we're having is, with having multiple people online. "You have logged in from another location" When it's a different person.

And if they do it one at a time, it's considering them still to be the same person so they're sharing an inventory and logoff location etc.

Is there any way to differentiate between users in offline mode when there's no connection to the minecraft server? I don't care if it takes the info they provide at face value, as long as it differentiates and lets multiple people connect.

What's the point of offline mode if you can't have more than one person online anyway?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  8. Offline

Jeyge

Is there a way to do it, yes but as I said above, I don't think you will find it on these message boards or even on minecraft.net. What you are asking for is a way to bypass the normal authentication system (yes, I understand that you and your friend all paid for it).

9. Offline

lycano

@Ketrel: You can use xAuth for online-mode: false login ingame. BUT you have to have created an official account through minecraft.net and authed to it before connecting.

Using the Cancel button and then play in local LAN will result (as you have experienced it) in beeing shown up as Player. If another Offline user "Player" connects it will collide.

It would be possible to write a plugin that renames you to the registered nick on login but there is none currently available afaik. Furthermore you have to wait until the user has authed itself and beeing renamed by the non-existant Plugin. Shure it is still possible to write another plugin that renames you to a random user onPlayerJoin() e.g. RandomSheep42 to avoid that... but again there is no such plugin currently available. That said it is not inteded to play in multiplayer in a non-WAN environment.

Still it is possible to play on a LAN-Server but you must have WAN-Access to auth yourself. Means without an internet connection you will not have a unique player name and no custom skin applied.

10. Another option would be to have your own auth stuff which happens in-game. When you connect, it would ask you for your credentials (which is entirely different and separate from the minecraft.net password) and only allows you to do anything and only recognises you as your actual username rather than just "Player" after you've auth'd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.