Advice On Coding In General

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Hockeyfan1852, Jan 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Hockeyfan1852

Hi, I am a senior in high school and am taking a basic computer programming course that covers basic HTML, CSS and JavaScript. I want to learn Java and commit myself to learning it and not take these easy learn java in 21 days ending up with bad coding habits picked up.

Also a question to those who are in college or have a career in coding what classes/at home work would you recommend to get a job in the field. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for reading,
    Hockeyfan1852

2. Offline

pie_flavor

Actually, Bukkit is a great way to learn Java because you can see the fruits of your efforts in an environment that makes sense to you. You should look at the basic tutorial that is actually from Oracle rather than one of those random websites, but Bukkit is a perfect place to start if you know what you're doing with servers. Message me, or just about anyone else who has ever replied to any plugin request, if you need help with a specific detail.

3. Offline

nverdier

@pie_flavor No... It's best to learn Java, then learn Bukkit. Bukkit is simply an implementation of Java, and you don't learn to walk before learning to crawl.

CamdenGunter likes this.
  4. Offline

pie_flavor

@nverdier Read my post closer. I'm saying go ahead and learn Java first, but use Bukkit as a way to test your progress. Because this way, you can go ahead and try more complicated things but already have a way to check on what you did.

5. Offline

nverdier

Then this is very confusing...

6. Offline

Hockeyfan1852

If anyone has a few good tutorials/guides that they recommend for java I would be grateful if you would share them. Also the point pie_flavor makes a good point to use bukkit to test where I would be after learning some of the basics of java and then trying to implement them into a bukkit plugin.

7. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Hockeyfan1852 My method:
    Try, fail, try again. Keep repeating till satisfied with the result.

8. Offline

nverdier

9. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

nverdier likes this.
  10. Offline

nverdier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.