Advantages of using Jenkins/Maven

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by PatrickFreed, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

PatrickFreed

I was wondering if any of you guys use these tools/what they help you with. I'm curious, as Ive never used either.

2. Offline

olloth

Maven is pretty amazing, I'm not switching back to jar exporting probably ever. I run maven for eclipse, and egit, and whenever I want to check out something open source 99% of the plugins/bukkit/spout etc, are maven projects. You just import the maven project from SCM, and it sets up the class path for you, and downloads the dependencies. It's pretty much awesome. A couple clicks and I have whatever project I want loaded in from github. It works for Craftbukkit, Bukkit, Spout, SpoutAPI, SpoutcraftAPI, my plugins, other peoples plugins, etc. Almost everything on github with a pom.xml.

ZerothAngel likes this.
  3. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

I am with you on this one. and I cant really seem to wrap my head around maven.

Now what would be really nice if someone had nice guides for this!

4. Offline

desht

Seconded. I keep reading posts about how great Maven is, and all I can wonder is where people are learning it. I've read up on the docs on the Apache site, and it still looks like black magic to me.

Could really use a decent tutorial:
    • Why I should be using Maven. Exporting a JAR file via a .jardesc seems to work fine, what is it about Maven that makes life so much easier?
    • How to start a new project under Maven
    • How to convert an existing non-Maven plugin

Bone008 likes this.
  5. Offline

olloth

I learned it via IRC and google, and it was a bit rough. I agree there could be some nice tutorials out there, I'm still not experienced with it enough to be comfortable with that personally. To be fair, a .jardesc is EASIER to learn and use. Maven is much more powerful however.

For example, I add SpoutAPI as a dependency to a Maven project, and then I press a button, and I have javadocs and source and the dependency all downloaded for me. When SpoutAPI is updated, I press a button and it pulls the new one. Same with Bukkit. (Although I think they don't have their jenkins set up to make the javadocs/source. Which is kinda sad considering how big their project is.)

6. Offline

oyasunadev

If you want to understand what they are then go to the websites...
    http://maven.apache.org/
    http://jenkins-ci.org/

"Apache Maven is a software project management and comprehension tool. Based on the concept of a project object model (POM), Maven can manage a project's build, reporting and documentation from a central piece of information."
    (http://maven.apache.org/, description.)

"An extendable open source continuous integration server."
    (http://jenkins-ci.org/, slogan.)

Tanite likes this.
  7. Offline

PatrickFreed

I'm aware that they have websites, I was just looking for some personal opinions on them.

8. Offline

oyasunadev

Maven is great!
    Jenkins is optional, and takes time to set up, but if you have hours to spare, its a good idea,,,,,,,, xD

9. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

I have read through maven's documentation a few times now, and it still does not make sense....

10. Offline

desht

Maven may indeed be great but what I (and clearly others too) are looking for is documentation to demystify it. As I said, I've read the docs on the Apache site, and it still has the feel of black magic. And yet clearly some people here use and love it, so my question is: where did you learn it? And just what makes it so good?

I guess if I really spent time on it, I could learn it, but I'm just not seeing the advantage right now...

11. Offline

oyasunadev

Maven allows you to build Java applications and manage between projects very nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.