Adding RAM to server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by McEvan, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

McEvan

How do I add ram to my server I have search every where and cant figure it out ? Could someone point me in the right direction?

I have tried editing the .bat but that didn't work.

2. Offline

bassfader

You mean like that your system got more RAM? Then buy some RAM and build it into your server.
    When editing the .bat file you can only assign more or less RAM to your server (from the amount of RAM which is allready built into the server)

McEvan likes this.
  3. Offline

McEvan

I have 16GB & would like to use 8GB's for the server.

4. Offline

Juf

What architecture is you Java running off of? x64 or x84?

5. Offline

McEvan

I have both 64bit & 32bit not sure if that answers that question.

6. Offline

Pr0Failure

He's asking how can he allocate more RAM towards his server.

McEvan likes this.
  7. Offline

bassfader

Well first you'd need to make sure you are using the 64bit Java, for this (I assume you are using Windows since you said something about a bat file) you'd need to open up a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and enter "java -version". If there is something written like x64 or 64bit somewhere then you have the needed version, otherwise you'd need to uninstall java and then install the 64bit version.
    After that you'd need to edit the bat file which starts your server, and alter the "-Xmx" parameter for the maximum java heap size (for 5GB for example type something like "-Xmx5G") and if you want to you could also alter the "-Xms" parameter for the minimum java heap size (for 1GB for example type something like "-Xms1G").

If that didn't help, please tell us more specifically what you are trying to do and what you did allready try and what happened when you tried.

McEvan likes this.
  8. Offline

McEvan

This is what im using.

@echo off
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xms1G -Xmx5G -jar craftbukkit.jar
    pause

This is what I get . http://snpr.cm/g9vhsP.png

Do I have it messed up? Doing it completely wrong ?

9. Offline

bassfader

This means that you are using the 32bit version of java which can only allocate up to 1.5GB or something like that. To get access to more RAM you need the 64bit version, so uninstall yours and download and install the 64bit Version from Oracle.
    But remember you then need to edit your bat file too since then its not "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\..." anymore, but "%ProgramFiles%\Java\..." instead.

McEvan likes this.
  10. Offline

McEvan

I got it to work thank you !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.