Access console window remotely.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Cowboys1919, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Cowboys1919

Hi, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread but i think i'll get the most here.

I'm running my server, mcspleef.com, on ubuntu server and i want to know if i can remotely access the console window. Before you say ssh, i know, i know but I want to run it from the actually computer because ssh times out and i don't want to keep the terminal open on my mac the whole time.

Do you get what I'm saying? I want more to "control" or "take over" the login session than start a new log in session with ssh. Im sure this has gotta be possible. Any ideas?

Edit: "screen" command looks promising, not sure how it works though.

2. Offline

JWhy

Your new start.sh:
    Code:
    screen -S bukkit -t bukkit java -Xmx1024M -Xms2048M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    When you type ./start.sh now, it opens the bukkit console as usual... You can press CTRL - A, and then D to detach the bukkit console and get back to your shell... from your other computer you can login via SSH and use screen -r to open that console windows remotely

Cowboys1919 likes this.
  3. Offline

Cowboys1919

What if my startup script is more complicated, it has restart logic and backups. Can i start screen manually and then run my start.sh .

If so, do i need to start screen with any special arguments?

Edit: NVM got it thank you!

4. Offline

JWhy

For instance: If you're starting your server not just with one line, you can execute your start.sh with screen too:
    screen -S bukkit -t bukkit ./start.sh

5. Offline

Cowboys1919

Cool stuff, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.