Absolute beginner, what does this error in the console mean?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by pyraetos, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pyraetos

When I try to run my new plugin, I get this:
    Code:
    Could not load 'plugins\test.jar' in folder 'plugins':
    java.lang.InstantiationException
    IWhat could this possible mean?
    I'll provide any further info.
    Thanks! :D

2. Offline

TerraPlay

Is that the whole error? o,o
    If not please post it.

3. Offline

pyraetos

Sure, heres everything else
    Code:
    08:56:36 [SEVERE] Could not load 'plugins\test.jar' in folder 'plugins':
    java.lang.InstantiationException
            at sun.reflect.InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.newInst
    (Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoad
    ava:173)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginMana
    java:194)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginMan
    .java:117)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:1
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.<init>(CraftServer.java:89)
            at net.minecraft.server.ServerConfigurationManager.<init>(ServerConf
    ationManager.java:52)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:13
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:335
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:422)
    Also, do you think learning java for bukkit development is hard? Theres jsut so much to remember, its really intimidating me.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
  4. Offline

TerraPlay

Well, if you don't know java it'll be very hard. I had some experiences with programming in langs like PHP and that stuff, so I understand the precept. But if you never developed anything, you should learn java in general first.

I don't know whats causing the error, so I only can help you if you send me the source via PM.

5. Offline

pyraetos

6. Offline

Weltall 7

I guess your jar is incorrect, as otherwise your code would have thrown an exception, not bukkit. How did you generate it?

edit: another possibility is that your plugin's class is not 'public' and thus can't be used by bukkit.

7. Offline

zonedabone

That could be it.

I learned java through bukkit, but I already knew C and Python, so I had the syntax and the idea of object oriented programming down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.