About 1.8 Chunks

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by pacmanjones, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pacmanjones

So far, what I've gathered based on tweets from Jeb is:

-Expanding a 1.7 map to generate new chunks will not give you 1.8 chunks
    -Both 1.8 and 1.9 will need new chunks

So, what I understand is that for 1.8 biomes etc, I will need to start a new map for my server. However, because 1.9 will need new chunks as well, will the simple "expanding map to generate new chunks" not work on a 1.8 map for 1.9 chunks as well?

Or, will I only have to make a new map for 1.8 (limit the border), then expand it and I will get 1.9 chunks on the 1.8 map?

2. Offline

Mukrakiish

That's a really good question. I'd love to know this as well...maybe he's referencing NPC work that will be new style like 1.8 maps. New data that can't be simply "expanded chunks" like the 1.7-1.8 issue.

:/

3. Offline

GmK

Huh? There is no information anywhere that a 1.7 map wont generate new 1.8 chunks when you explore it on a 1.8 server.

As usual: You wont get the new features in alread generated old chunks, but thats always the case.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

4. Offline

pacmanjones

I don't have time to try and find a citation, but I do remember hearing that 1.7 maps cannot be expanded to create new 1.8 chunks because of changes in coding or something like that.

5. Offline

LEOcab

I've seen old 1.7 maps expand with 1.8 chunks in both single and multiplayer. It looks like crap. :(

Check out this thread.

6. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

7. Offline

pacmanjones

Wow, thanks for the link!

Anyways, it does look like crap, so I guess I'll be making a new map for 1.8. I'm 98.3243% sure that the border between 1.8 and 1.9 maps won't be as horrendous considering 1.9 is "1.8 part 2".

On another note, what's the recommended map size in radius (large, but not large enough to impede server performance)?

8. Offline

Lolmewn

9. Offline

croxis

No this actually happens when new chunks are generated on pre 1.8 worlds.

10. Offline

LEOcab

Yeah, same here. And I don't think the 1.9 changes will be that drastic either. I hope so... if not then my players are gonna be doubly pissed. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.