A* Pathfinding Library

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Adamki11s, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. On my most recent plugin, QuestX, I have been working with NPCs a lot and was surprised to find that there were no pathfinding libraries for minecraft, you are stuck with the default one which comes with the library which I wasn't too happy with.

So I've decided to make my own and when it's completed everyone is free to use it. I'm still working on testing and optimizing everything but it looks pretty good so far.

It currently just returns the nodes, as blocks to walk to. I still need to implement the NPC or mob for that matter walking there, but that is the easy part (in comparison).

My PC doesn't have the best hardware, the processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 clocked at 2.80GHz. I'd be interested to get my hands on a test server or test this plugin on a server with a top end processor, i'm talking i7 quad core etc and seeing how fast it can pull off the pathfinding.

Codisimus likes this.
  2. Offline

blablubbabc

3. Offline

slater96

Adamki11s
    Wow that's good. I can see that coming in useful. I've got an i5 ivy bridge and 8gb ram if you want me to test it btw. You'll be able to get on too.

4. Offline

AnniKa

i think its allways better to test the stuff on low end instead of top end :O
    if you have good values on low end then you can be sure that high end is happy at all ^^

do you use a binary tree for the "open nodes" ?
    and metadata for the "closed nodes" ?
    it extremely speeded up my A* a while ago

5. AnniKa
    No, i just use a hashmap. I could try and implement a binary tree but surely a hashmap would have a faster seek time because it has O(1) instead of log(n) seek time? Although that said i'm not sure how the performance compares with inserts and removals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.