2 Servers, Assign cores?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Phinary, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Phinary

Hey. I am opening up a second server for the release of my gaming community/server. I am running on a dedicated box with Dual core i3 2100, thats 2 cores and 4 threads. I plan to run 2 servers with about 20-30 players for each of them. Basically, what I was wondering is, how can I assign 1 core for 1 server (or 2 threads) and the other core/other 2 threads for the other server? I am worried both servers will try to use the same core and it will slow them both down. Any way I can do this? What would be the best way to optimize the servers to run smooth on the same system

2. Don't worry. Scheduling is done by your operating system and a good operating system tries to spread all processes across all cores (where a "thread" (that's the wrong term for it) counts as a core in the first place (in the first, internally the scheduler should know the difference and implement that in it's spreading)). If you use linux you are able to tune the scheduler, but that's most likely overkilled.

3. Offline

Omnitv

IT will be fine as long as two servers at the same computer with different ip's and server ports.
    My concern is that you may not have enough RAM for the job, and it may overload you're router or you're CPU. But im sure you will be fine, I haven't tried it though.

4. Offline

Phinary

Well, I am using 8gb ram, on a 1Gb/s network. This is all hosted at a datacenter, so no need to worry about router and whatnot. I already purchased a second IP so that I can run them both on port 25565. Thanks for the help. I will have to do some stress testing later this week

5. Offline

MikeA

I wouldn't recommend a dual-core i3 for multiple Minecraft servers.

1.) It's a desktop processor.
    2.) It's not that powerful (My old schools crappy desktops used i3's)

6. Offline

Omnitv

My Mac uses a dual core for Final Cut Pro *7* stuff is that bad?

7. Offline

Phinary

Just because your old crappy computer schools used i3's doesnt mean they suck. First of all, lots of schools load up their computers with a ton of crap. Second of all, these are sandy bridge, which should run 2 small minecraft servers fine. Thanks for your opinion, but I believe they should handle my server fine. I ran 2 10 man servers on a crappy dual core AMD old ass processor, and they ran pretty well. Plus, I am only using about 5-10 plugins on each server. Not like those 50 plugin servers :p Edit: Yes, I know it is not a server grade processor, but it should be okay. Its not like I am trying to run high cpu huge servers 24/7

8. Offline

MikeA

I'm sorry that my opinions are based on hardware and large servers that run 24/7 and need faster processors.

9. Offline

Phinary

I guess that is your opinion. I have a friend of mine that runs 40 players online, 24/7 on a dual core AMD X2 240. It runs lag free and without issues. I think that your rule only applies to those servers that think they need like 60 plugins + all that essentials stuff.

10. Offline

DrAgonmoray

so much mad

11. Offline

Phinary

I rage all over this thread.

12. Offline

MikeA

13. Offline

Phinary

1) Minecraft no-no multithread useless more core mumbojumbo
    2) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=21
    3) reference 2
    4) intel > amd
    5) intel sandy bridge dual core's kick ass
    6) because i no rich and cant pay 5 billions of millions of dollars each month

Edit: Intel Dual core sandy bridge at 3.1 Ghz slightly beats this quad core AMD @ 3.2ghz with much larger cache too(not in all tests though ofcourse)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=88

Edit2: Yes, this thread is exceedingly immature. Don't hold it against me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.