1.7.2 Beta Build crashes due to illegal characters in chat

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by wilmervanheerde, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

wilmervanheerde

Hello,

My server is crashing on average ~ 5 times per day.
    This is the last line of the log every single time it crashes:

21.12 13:40:32 [Disconnect] User [13:40:32 INFO]: marcusvilla1 has disconnected, reason: Illegal characters in chat

Banning the player eventually stopped the crashes but I'm aware that other players could do this.
    This could be a serious bug, but I couldn't find any threads that have problems related to this.

2. Offline

GerCraft

what server version do you running?
    post your server log please www.pastebin.com
    post a list of your plugins please.

3. Offline

wilmervanheerde

I'm using a bunch of custom created plugins, but there are all updated to 1.7.2 and run stable.

List of all plugins:
    WorldBorder, BeaconDrop, MagicBox, Buycraft, rsCommand, RedstoneCombatLogger, rsHacker, Multiverse-Core, rsAuth, Shopkeepers, CompatNoCheatPlus, ItemRepair, Features, GameModeControl, OpenInv, ProtocolLib, Votifier, MobArena, CommandQueue, NoCheatPlus, WorldEdit, rsEnderchest, Multiverse-Inventories, OnlineUsers, DBPassword, PermissionsEx, Reloader, HealthBar, LogBlock, WorldGuard, boosCooldowns, MineBackup, Broadcaster, RedstoneWatch, rsJoinkit, rsPlayerData, StaffLogger, rsGlitch, rsItemSystem, Multiverse-Portals, rsChristmas, ColoredTags, WGCustomFlags, Skript, rsParkourChest, rsBirthday, Essentials, Factions, rsVoting, WGPushBack, rsChat, EssentialsSpawn

Server log

http://pastebin.com/eYFd6MMe

Hello,

Last night it crashed again, and it was the same problem again.

[23:20:47] [Server thread/INFO]: a7med_111 lost connection: Illegal characters in chat
    [23:20:47] [Server thread/INFO]: [rsPlayerData] Player a7med_111 played for 4 minutes & 38 seconds
    Whenever a player sends illegal characters in chat, the server will crash. These are the last 2 lines of the log. While this happened I was running the latest Bukkit beta #2974

4. Offline

kreashenz

Digging around some NMS stuff (by decompiling and using the github repo) and I've found this. I'm not sure if this helps or not but there's a class called SharedConstants and it checks whether or not there's any letters in the message that is illegal, if it is, it'll kick you the "Illegal characters in chat".
    SharedConstants.java (open)
    Code:java
    1. package net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R1;
    3. public class SharedConstants
    4. {
    5. public static final char[] allowedCharacters = { '/', '\n', '\r', '\t', '\000', '\f', '`', '?', '*', '\\', '<', '>', '|', '"', ':' };
    7. public static boolean isAllowedChatCharacter(char paramChar)
    8. {
    9. return (paramChar != 'ยง') && (paramChar >= ' ') && (paramChar != '');
    10. }
    12. public static String a(String paramString)
    13. {
    14. StringBuilder localStringBuilder = new StringBuilder();
    16. for (char c : paramString.toCharArray()) {
    17. if (isAllowedChatCharacter(c)) {
    18. localStringBuilder.append(c);
    19. }
    20. }
    22. return localStringBuilder.toString();
    23. }
    24. }

It seems that one of your plugins or players is somehow getting these characters in to the chat so I'd try and look around for that throughout your server.

[EDIT] And here's the code where it's kicking you.
    https://github.com/Bukkit/CraftBukk...t/minecraft/server/PlayerConnection.java#L769

5. Offline

Faller10

Having the same problem! I don't know if it is a plugin or something like that but i really want this error fixed!

6. Offline

kubson97

I have the same problem on my server too.

7. Offline

groudon4616

I'm running a beta on 1.7 and after about 20 minutes the server stops itself and freezes before it saves and I'm running on a Mac.

8. Offline

Faller10

Ok! I got this fixed! My problem was that i had AuthMe Reloaded and NoCheatPlus, one of this plugins allowed the _ character and the other doesn't. I simply maked them allow the _ character and it stoped crashing!

9. Offline

Pimp_like_me

Not trying to be that guy, but I'm using the newest build of CB and this still happens to me. Lord knows what Faller10 was trying to say, because I can't comprehend if that's English or not. I was just wondering if Anyone knows how to fix the problem and can explain the solution well enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.