1.7/1.8 Plugin Support

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by AngryCupcake274, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

AngryCupcake274

Hello all,
    this is a problem I assume lots of plugin developers will be having soon, if not already. I have created a plugin using the Bukkit 1.8.8 API, and I have had requests to turn it into a 1.7 plugin. I am trying to avoid two plugins, as it makes it messier to deal with and I'd have to re-do most of my auto-updating code, but cannot find any tutorial or information on how to make a 1.8 plugin 1.7 compatible. One thing that makes this hard is that I am using packets to send particles to the player for 1.8. Is there a way to have both 1.7 and 1.8 support in one plugin?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Offline

mythbusterma

@AngryCupcake274

The way that I've seen to do this is with modular loading, done with Maven. I'm not sure how it works under the hood, but you can see examples of it in TagAPI and dhutils.

Also, just use protocollib.

3. Offline

AngryCupcake274

Do you have any page about modular loading anywhere? I don't want code handouts, but I'd love to read a tutorial over it. Also, I'm trying to stay away from other APIs, as I have had bad experiences with them in the past.

4. Offline

boomboompower

You can just make a 1.8.* and 1.7.* plugin. (What I mean is release two different versions)

5. Offline

AngryCupcake274

@boomboompower I said in my first post that I was trying to avoid 2 different plugins.

6. Offline

boomboompower

So basically what you want it to have the same features in Bukkit 1.8 and Bukkit 1.7
    If so this is not possible as the versions of minecraft are both different.

7. Offline

AngryCupcake274

@boomboompower I would put different plugin classes (for 1.7 and 1.8) in the same plugin jar, but only have one of them activate if the user has a certain version on MC server.

8. Offline

boomboompower

Ah, you should just use protocollib, even though you don't like api's it will probably help you.

9. Offline

AngryCupcake274

@boomboompower Let's say I wasn't just needing ProtocolLib; I would like a way to do this that would work for any plugin. Like mythbusterma said above, do you have any Maven tutorials for this?

10. Offline

boomboompower

11. Offline

AngryCupcake274

@boomboompower That's a great tutorial, but it's not for Bukkit. Let me see if I can find something real quick....

12. Offline

teej107

13. Offline

mythbusterma

@AngryCupcake274

Just look over the link Teej posted and look at the repository for dhutils and TagAPI.

14. Offline

AngryCupcake274

15. Offline

mythbusterma

16. Offline

AngryCupcake274

@mythbusterma OK then, I'll be looking over these, and report back with how I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.